[FIXED] Feedback latency

When moving a knob, I see it also moving on my laptopscreen. Perfect so far. But when I let go the knob it slides back to the original point. Only after 3 to 4 seconds it slides to the point I let it go. That latency is somewhat confusing. One wanders: is it working? Don't know if this is a bug or it is what it is.

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hey, Ronn. That can happen with a poor network connection. It happens with Behringer's iPad app, too.

It's a little hard to explain, but the goal is to ensure that the value I show in my app agrees with what the mixer has: in other words, I don't leave the fader where you put it until I get a confirmation message back from the mixer. If the network is poor, that can take a while. If the connection is good, you never notice it.

It's mostly cosmetic, but if it's happening, it means there's a lot of packet loss on your WiFi connection.

Note, just using the built-in router can be enough to experience packet loss, even if you're in the same room with it. It's notoriously bad. There are horror stories of people using the built-in WiFi at shows and having total failure. I generally treat the built-in router as a convenience for home/studio use. For gigs, or reliable usage at home, best practice is to use an external 5GHz router.

• I think you are right, the signalstrenght is about 89% I saw yesterday. Yesterday I practiced with the internal WiFi-router, lazy as I am to climb the stairs to fetch my external router.

At performances I always use my external router, a 5GHz. It once happened that someone downloaded the Android-app of the XR18, guessed my password and overruled my commands. That is never going to happen again!!

I will experience again this week.

Later, Ronn

• While technically not a bug, I did change the way the faders are implemented to they feel less glitchy.

• so you changed it to where the fader moves right away and the mixer catches up when it catches up? i could see that being a problem for the dude out front mixing, but for me on stage i think i like it! i'm often having to quickly nudge a level in between licks during a song, so no time to wait for the fader to fully sync up.

i suppose you could add a clever little tick mark riding alongside the fader that shows the actual level the mixer is at, allowing us to see any lag between the nudge and the response, but that's getting fancy isn't it?

• Yeah, that's exactly what I did. It means that if you have a lot of packet loss, the fader and your actual volume can by slightly out of sync, but if you're adjusting your mix by ear, that problem is kinda self correcting. All I know is that since I made that change, I don't get reports about the fader's being glitchy, and nobody has reported sync issues, so I think it was the right call. :)